Chillin' (read: sweatin') with my homies


So I went to the opening varsity football game last night with Paul and the kids.  Normally, I would like that kind of thing... marching bands and cheerleaders, NOT football.  *Ummmm..... DISAPPOINTMENT!*

Marching bands here?  NOT the same as back home!  Who'd have EVER guessed that could be possible?  First of all, they were all in shorts and tshirts, not uniforms.  I decided not to be all judgey judgey on that point because it was 110 degrees out afterall.  But get this... they didn't even get in formation or do any marching!  During half-time, the home team stood on the side lines in a straight row and played one song.  *cricket, cricket*  That's it.  Before they came out I was all bouncing in my seat and clapping my hands chanting, "the band's coming!  the band's coming!"  Afterword?  I was sitting there with my bottom lip sticking out just staring straight ahead.  Bummer.

On a brighter note... Maddie first thought she didn't make the cheerleading squad, but the news isn't quite that grim.  The coach has taken to sitting right in front of us in church and last week when she came in, Paul leaned forward and told her how disappointed Maddie was that she didn't make the team.  The coach then took Maddie out into the lobby and told her that there were three girls who she wanted to make the team, but just didn't have the uniforms for them and that Maddie was one of them.  Sooo, if Maddie is willing to, she wants her to come to all of the practices and games anyways and learn the cheers, work on her jumps, etc and be an alternate.  Then if a spot opens up from a girl leaving or getting kicked out, then Maddie will have a spot.  SO, not quite as depressing! Of course she jumped at the opportunity and has been faithfully at every practice and then last night, she had to ride the bus with the team and the other cheerleaders.  Then went out to eat with them all afterwards.  She's pretty excited about it all.  Which means I'll probably be expected to go to all of the games if she's participating.  Which leads to....

UGH! lol  It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT!!!  Even after the sun went down it was still H-O-T!  It's monsoon season, so there a little bit of a breeze (hallelujah!), but even then, it was sweltering.  Paul kept looking at me and giggling.  I'd say, "Am I glowing?" lol  He'd just laugh and say, "Yeah, that's what you're doing alright!"  Yeah, truth be told, I was sweating my ass off!  Even worse, we lost the game.  No one was really in their zone and playing right, but it was still a good time.


lurve you, xoxo v.

Comments

Dory Babe =] said…
Oh how I miss high school football games! I loved watching the marching band and watching Jess in color guard, they took that stuff serious!! Oh you poor dear, the heat is not my friend (BLAHH). Glad Maddie semi-made it ;p Go her!
Allison said…
Yay for Maddie! I'm so happy for her!! This will help her get the training and technique that she needs...and then she'll most definitely make the team officially next year!!! :)