Crying in line at the Walmart...


Let me tell you a little something about my kids.   At one time or another, I have been reminded that they all have kind, generous, loving hearts.  For all of the issues that they have faced and sometimes continue to face, underneath all of that "stuff", they are good people.  

That is a really beautiful thing for a parent to know and to get to see.  Sometimes I think God purposely lets parents catch their kids in the middle of an act of kindness or generosity, just to give us a little taste of the fruit that is being harvested from all of those long, hard years of sowing seeds into our children.

This afternoon, Emma and I went grocery shopping. When we were standing in the checkout line, there was an elderly woman on a scooter in front of us.  She kind of reminded me of my Grandma.  Her basket was full and as she was getting up to put her items on the belt, Emma went up and asked if she could help her.  The lady had been struggling to get up and it was clear she was weak.  She kind of looked at Emma for a minute in a disbelieving way and then sat back down and nodded her head yes in a very humbled and grateful way.

Emma went around the front of her scooter and began loading her groceries onto the belt all the while asking the lady how her day was and if she needed any help getting her things into her car.  The lady said she could get it from here and went on her way.  Emma walked back to me and it was business as usual.

Now, this actually isn't an unusual scene because Emma is quite a thoughtful and generous girl.  If she sees a need, she doesn't think twice about offering herself or her belongings up as a gift.  But, today this seemed to hit me extra hard in the heart.  It was like time slowed down and a spotlight was shining on my daughter as she was doing this.  As if it was being pointed out to me to look and see the good that has come of my parenting of this child.  She is a lovely girl.  And she is now offering love and kindness to the world. 

This made me cry.  When she walked back to me, all I could say is, "You make me proud."  She smiled and said, "Aww, thanks Mama" and kissed me on the cheek.

Show kindness to one, and the whole world benefits.  #onelove






XO, Veronica

Comments

Unknown said…
That brought a tear to my eye. There is so much nastiness in this world, it is so nice to hear that people are willing to help their fellow man/woman.