Staycation

     I had a wonderful weekend!  See, when planning to move back home, I set a life goal to actually experience my life and the people around me.  While living in Arizona, I had a nice life, but it was a small life.  After nearly seven years there, I really didn't accomplish anything.  I only took a few small trips and made almost no friends.  Admittedly this was because I tend to bend my life and my personality to fit the desires of the partner I have at the time.  And usually, I tend to end up with people who live small lives and frankly, are usually assholes who are threatened by women who have lives of their own.  But that's a whole other story.

     When I moved home, I decided that I was actually going to do all of the things that I had been wishing I could do.  And I spent years raving about all of the things to do in Ohio and how Arizona didn't compare.  So, I vowed to live a bigger life, full of love and experiences than I ever had.  And I've really tried to do that since coming home. 

     The other part of this is that with the spiritual journey that I've been on for the past year, I've learned that one of our main missions in this life is to live without fear.  To live with abandon.  Not reckless abandon, but abandon.  I've always lived exactly the opposite of that.  Very carefully, hyper-vigilant about danger, careful, etc...and it hasn't gotten me very far.  So, in the second act of my life, I want to do the things that I always said I couldn't do because I had small children and a lot of bills.  That I didn't do because I had a partner that was a butt.  I plan to live my life instead of letting my life live me.

     Normally, when I take time off of work, I plan to stay home and do absolutely nothing.  Because that sounds like Heaven, doesn't it?  But this time, I made plans.  And I had a blast!



     Thursday, I dropped Emma and her girlfriend off at Cedar Point.  I got a haircut (which didn't turn out so well, but them's the breaks).  Allison came up for a short visit.  We got to have dinner and catch up.  I soooo miss my friends and hate that they all live so far away!  



     Friday, Courtney, Emma and Madi (Emma's girlfriend) went with me to Stan Hywet, which is the beautiful old mansion built by the owner of Goodyear Tire.  I had been there several times when I was younger, but my kids had never been there.  Unfortunately, Courtney wasn't feeling well so we couldn't explore the gardens as much as we wanted to.  But, they have  a new tour that shows all of the behind the scenes stuff and the rooms they don't normally show, so it's a good reason to go back! Plus, I want to go at Christmas because it's supposed to be beautiful.



    After we left the mansion, we met up with Jon & Allison for dinner.  We had a nice time together and getting caught up.  I love having friends that have known me for so long, I can just be.  I don't have to be "on" or sell myself (I'm sure you know what I mean).  It's just sweet to be together and have a nice meal.  

(Their Dramamine just kicked in)


    Saturday was jam-packed.  I ran Emma and Madi to Cedar Point in the morning.  I then raced home to get ready to go to the theater with some work friends.

    Now, this is a great example of how when you put your intention out there, the universe will rise up to meet you.  I've already talked about my intentions to do and see more.  I've been thinking for a few years now that I need to get my passport.  This way, it's ready when I need it, and because that will help set my intentions for travel and put that energy out into the universe.

     Well, at work, some of us created a book club that we have once a week.  At this book club, I made a friend named Lauren.  She also happens to go to the weekly meditation that they have in the  chapel.  So, Lauren starts talking one day about how she has decided to do more with her life and so she is going to get her passport this month in order to set the intention into the universe about what she wants.  *cricket, cricket*

     I was like, "Are you serious?!" and I explained my story to her.  I said excitedly that I want to do more things like go to the theater and travel.  As I was explaining this, her eyes got huge and she said, "I am going to see The Phantom of the Opera on July 3rd!  I actually have an extra ticket because I knew someone would come along that wanted to go!  Do you want to go?" I told her of course I wanted to go and that she must have bought the ticket for me!

     So, see how God conspires for your happiness when you surrender to what your soul is craving and you put the intention out to fill it?  He synchronizes people and events to help you achieve it.  God never fails to amaze me with how good He is.



     I LOVE the theater!  I have seen many shows, but not nearly enough.  I fully intend to go back as often as I can.  After the show, we went to the Haufbrau House, which is a charming German restaurant near Playhouse Square.  The food was uh-mazing.


     We had some great conversation and a lot of laughs.  I met some new friends.  It was a great time.

     When I left there, I had to race back to Cedar Point to pick up the kids so we could get ready for the fireworks.  See, in Arizona, holidays are just NOT the same.  Nothing is celebrated the same.  The fireworks are okay, but you experience them sitting on the side of the road or in a gravel parking lot.  There is nothing festive there.  And they don't have picnics or barbecues for the holiday either.  It was all just blah.  





      Because of this, I couldn't wait to go to the fireworks at the lake like we always do.  It really felt wonderful to be home.  I want to travel, but I never want this to not be my home again.  You don't appreciate this place until you leave home for a while.  Coming home, you realize just how beautiful Ohio is and how much it truly has to offer. 

xoxo v.

Comments