Well, that didn't last long...


So, last week I started on the Keto diet.  It's similar to Atkins.  High fat, high protein, low carbs.  I was really surprised how easily I moved away from the carbs because, hello...carbs are my jam.

But seriously, after the first few days it was smooth sailing. You really don't get hungry on this diet.  Hunger is an entirely different feeling when there are no carbs involved, as it turns out.  You don't get that hunger pain in your stomach I'm going to die of starvation thing.  It's more like a little swooning in your head and that's it.

Well, in one week I lost five pounds, which was awesome.  But...I felt like complete shit.  I was told it was the "keto flu."  See, until your body adjusts to the ketones floating around in it and begins metabolizing those, you can feel like you have the flu.  And I DID!  But it seemed more than that.  My lupus was flaring and I felt horribly inflamed.  So, I sent my doctor a message she replied that "both protein and fat are highly inflammatory.  You should stop this eating plan again and find another way of eating that is more appropriate."

Merp.

Who would have thought that increasing my PROTEIN and lowering my CARBS would be so bad for me???  Only my body. lol  I don't think it was the fat that was so inflammatory for me, per se, because it was all healthy fat like olive oil and avocados.  I'm sure it was the protein.  I've always had trouble with protein anyways.  Eggs and chicken make me not feel good.  If I eat chicken, within an hour or so I will have a mini lupus flare and will have to wait for it to pass.

The funny thing is that when I google about this topic, everything I find says that the keto diet is supposed to be GOOD for lupus because carbs are so inflammatory.  But I have had just the opposite experience and my doctor agreed.  Maybe it's up to the individual patient, I don't know.  It's not the first time I have been shown to be a "delicate ecosystem."  

So, I'm off of the diet now.   And I'm so disappointed.  But, I guess this is the universe's way of leveling the playing field for the rest of you. I mean, if I had all of *THIS* to offer, AND was skinny?  PSSSSHHHHH... you'd all be in trouble. ;)

XO, Veronica

Comments

Unknown said…
I LOVE THIS!! You seriously have me laughing out loud!! Just what I need on a Monday morning! :)