Notorious


This was a notorious weekend. Not because anything special happened, but because I was finally able to see Notorious, the story of the Notorious B.I.G. It was really, really good and they did an amazing job telling the story of one of the best success stories and most tragic demises of my lifetime. Although I have to say that I really don't think they did justice to the Lil' Kim character. I think that she and Biggie had a much deeper and more substantial relationship than this script wants to give credit for. But that's just my opinion. And let me make sure to say, that if you're thinking about watching this movie, it IS full of foul language and situations that many of you might not want to have on your tv. It's a realistic movie about his life...and that wasn't always pretty.

The second time I watched it, Courtney was able to watch it with me and I loved seeing all of the bits and pieces of things she remembered hearing and seeing through her short life click into place as she is now old enough to understand things that she couldn't when it was going down. After all, he died in March of 1997 when she was only five years old. She knows that she's been raised listening to his music and that I've always been a fan of his, but she never knew much of the back story. Tonight she got educated and she cried through the end of it. People who aren't aware of his story tend to think that he was so hard and such a thug, but they don't know that he had a heart and that he could also be kind and gentle. His son played the young Biggie in the movie and looks just like him. He did a good job.

I remember crying as I watched his funeral procession on tv. I remember seeing all of the people lining the streets of Brooklyn and hearing them blast Hypnotize from the loudspeakers as his hearse made it's way through the streets. I was sad afterwards when some rioting broke out. I can't believe that was 12 years ago. Anyways, the movie was good. I've read some good things about it and some bad, but I think they did a really good job and I'm glad that someone finally paid tribute to him.

Comments