Date night

Tonight was date night. I had free tickets to the movies from when the movie projector ate up "Sex and the City" and we decided to use those tonight. Out of a desire to throw a random act of kindness at my husband, I agreed to let him pick the movie. *sigh* lol He ended up choosing "The Happening" and I didn't complain too much because it's an M. Night Shyamalan movie and I usually like him. Plus it has John Leguizamo (LOVE) and Zooey Daschanel (LOVE LOVE! She was in Elf--duh!) in it so I figured it would be really good. It looked like a mystery/suspense type of thing which is ok with me. Well, no. No no no no no no no no. DO NOT go see this movie--it is probably the worst movie I have seen in a LONG time.
I'm not going to give any spoilers for all you babies who will send me scathing emails after this, so don't worry! lol BUT, it was not a suspense/thriller--it was plain ol' gore. Twilight zone gone bad with a lot of blood and senseless violence. Let me just say that I am NOT a horror movie kind of girl. I hate ever second of that kind of mess and this was one of those times. I felt violated after watching that--like movie rape. The fact that someone has the audacity to insult my senses like that. Ok, I'll climb off of my soapbox now (I know, you're all saying, "so tell me how you REALLY feel..." lol).
All of this garbage aside, I totally kept my mouth shut and my opinions to myself. (I know right?) I decided that this was Scott's night and I would just close my eyes and turn my head during the bad parts so that I would never have those visions stuck in my head (garbage in, garbage out) and even though I managed to keep quiet, I still found myself really angry and resentful of my husband by the time it was over. Thoughts such as, "I didn't drag him to freakin' "27 Dresses" or "Sex and the City" kept racing through my mind.
Then we got in the car. And he took my hand and said, "I am so sorry for landing you in a movie like that. I had no idea that's what it would be and I am so, so sorry." With those simple, loving words the clouds started to lift because I remembered just what a good-hearted, sweet man my husband is. He would never do something like that on purpose. Out of ignorance sure. But never on purpose. There may be many a thing that I wish were different about him, but his heart will never be one of them.

Comments

*ehu. said…
Oooh! Thanks for the heads up!!! DEFINITELY not going to see that one--EVER!!
Kim said…
Awww.. that was so sweet. He really does care for you so much, Veronica. That just really was sweet of him to say that. He didn't have to. And thanks for letting us all know about that movie. I'm not into those kinds of movies much, either, though there are a few by that director that I have liked. Obviously this will be one I won't. I love your blogs - I never know what you're going to write about, and that's the fun in it!! You're so much fun, yet deep and introspective about life at the same time. I'm honored to have met you, girl!!
Family love said…
I hate gore too!! And a big yay for Scott. That was very sweet of him to be sensitive enough to say he was sorry even when he had no idea it was going to be like that...major points for him!
Allison said…
Brownie points for Scott!! Yay for tender, sweet moments....even after yucky movies!!
I'm glad to hear some feedback on this movie. The previews must be quite deceiving! I was really tempted to watch it, but now I know better (even if something in me already told me I'd regret seeing it!). I'm sorry the movie was so horrible, but glad something good came out of it - a reminder of your husband's good heart!