Sad


My heart is going out to this 14-year-old that is being charged as an adult for killing her baby. 

YES, I know what she did and how heinous it was. I AGREE. But she is a CHILD.

I have children her age.  Do you? Have you experienced the ridiculously stupid things these kids can do? The life-altering mistakes they can make in one fell swoop without thinking for even one second? Yes, even things like stealing a car, drinking, drugs and in this case, murder.

Don't you think that in about ten or twenty years, when she has some wisdom behind her, that she would rethink?  That she would probably not make the same stupid, stupid, stupid decision? That she wouldn't grab up her fourteen-year-old baby-faced self by the shoulders and scream "STOP! WAIT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? DON'T!" I have to believe that she would. I have to believe in the good in people. Why? Because that's what keeps me going day after day in this miserable world.  And because we are all created in His image so eventually that's usually how it works out.  Eventually, if we're all doing it right, we all usually grow up and come 'round to some kind of wisdom and better behavior.  Also, because when I look into her face, I see the face of my daughters. And I've already watched one of them screw it up royally and then come out of the fog on the other side successfully.  She made it to the other shore in one piece.  Now, I know she didn't go murdering no baby and shoving it in a shoebox, but tomatoes, to-mah-toes, you know?  The point is, she did some pretty messed up stuff.  And now girl number two has done some pretty messed up stuff this summer too.  Probably even more messed up than girl #1 ever did.  She stressed me out pretty bad and had the cops involved on a regular basis for a while. How old was she?  FOURTEEN. 

My point is that fourteen year-olds are stupid.  Yes, stupid.  And unfortunately, this girl committed murder, which is inexcusable.  But she is not an adult. Not even close to an adult. I don't agree with this and my heart goes out to her.  I can't imagine this baby girl being sent to an adult prison.  So sad.

lurve you, xoxo v.

Comments