Operation bedtime 1:00, day one

I decided today that I would set an alarm to go off at 1am every night to tell me it's time to go to bed. I had kind of a Pavlov's dogs type of theory in my head--I hear the alarm, I turn out the lights, my body eventually learns how to go to sleep at bedtime. Being the insomniac that I am, I knew that it wasn't going to be easy. The second part of this goal is that I want to start getting up "early", which by my standards is before like 11:00. lol

So tonight the alarm goes off at 1:00, but I'm not even CLOSE to being tired...especially since in order to facilitate part B of my plan, I skipped the ambien.

Anyways, I started the countdown in my mind of telling myself, "Ok, it's time for bed. Finish up what you're doing and after this show you're going to bed." Sounds good enough, right? Wrong! At 3:00 I climbed into bed, still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I tossed and turned and fiiiiiinally got comfortable when...I had to pee. DARNIT!!! So when I realize that it's not a fluke and the urge is not going to spontaneously go away, I throw on my robe and head to the bathroom. My plan is foiled further by my also awake husband who wants to have a whole conversation about turning on the furnace because he's "freezing".

I finally crawl back into bed and put my sleeping mask on. I figure that I sleep well enough during the day with it on, maybe my mind will be tricked into thinking it's daytime/sleepytime if it's on.

Fast forward to now. I'm sitting cross-legged on my bed in the pitch-black bedroom with my sleeping mask pulled up onto my forehead and it's 4:30 in the morning. I CAN'T SLEEP. I lay here, I meditate, I count backwards, I recite scripture. And now I'm cold but I don't want to go out there and tell Scott that he's right because it really craps when my husband is right and I'm not! Now I'm just waiting for my arch-enemies aka the chirping birds to start harrassing me.

Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep little nursie!

Comments

Allison said…
Ok, the harassing birds comment made me laugh. Poor little sleepy soapie. You at least get an E for effort. Maybe tonight will be better....

P.S. So, what time did you end up falling asleep???
Veronica said…
about 6 for two hours, then 9 for two hours. I'm so miserable right now!
Unknown said…
Hugs for you! I've been trying melatonin myself, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. *sigh*