Here we go!



I've been toying for a long time with the idea of having weight-loss surgery.  Specifically, the Gastric Sleeve (also known as "VSG" for vertical sleeve gastrectomy).  Even though many, many people have had beautiful success stories with the gastric "bypass" (roux-en-y), working in the profession that I do, I have seen the worst of the worst and it scares me.  Because of this, I chose the sleeve because it has very low rates of risk (*knock on wood*).

You know how you can tell that you're "in the flow"?  Like when you know it's right because doors just fly open?  Well, that's how this was from beginning to end!

Back in June, I made the decision to go forward with the process.  I first met with my surgeon (Dr. Ali Aminian at the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute at The Cleveland Clinic) and received the clearance to move forward with the process.  And the process is LONG!

As you can see from the form below, there are at least eight steps (doctors, psych, dietician, etc.  Plus I had to get an EGD, chest x-ray, and an EKG).  I was told by the person scheduling my appointments that this normally takes months and months to make happen, but she couldn't believe how lucky I am because there happened to be cancellations at that very moment that let me schedule them all within a 5 or 6 week time period. lol  In the flow I tell ya.



 
After I finished the last appointment, I called my patient navigator so that she could begin the insurance authorization process.  This is another people that people usually wait quite a while for.  BUT, mine came back in like seven business days! (FLOW!)  

After they received auth, I was told someone would call me within a week to schedule my surgery and that they typically schedule 1-2 months out because they are booked up.  So last Wednesday (which was 5 business days after receiving auth), my nurse Beth called to say, "How serious are you, because I want to schedule you for next Friday."  *cricket cricket*  NEXT FRIDAY!  That is TEN days out! (FLOW!). 

I was like, "What about my two-week liquid pre-op diet???"  She said, "Well, you don't get to do that.  Whatever you had this morning will be the last thing you ate!"  Holy crap!  I said yes to sign me up, but what I quickly started realizing was this... I didn't even get a last meal! lol I had PLANS for that last meal!  I definitely would have had something better than scrambled eggs! lol

So, my surgery date is next Friday 8/31/18.  It will be here before I know it, so pray for me you guys!  I will keep you posted!







XO, Veronica

Comments