The truth hurts

The truth hurts. That's how the cliche goes. It's something you can hear a thousand times and it doesn't hit home until "truth" happens to you--cliches are funny that way.

Today some things were said to me that hurt me to the very core of my being like I haven't been hurt in a very long time. They weren't said in a mean way or maliciously, it was just truth. Not even truth about me--just truth in it's raw form. And man, the truth hurts.

It never fails to amaze me how you can know someone so long and so intimately, and think that you know everything there is to know about them, and yet they can still say something or reveal something about themselves that punches you in the gut and makes you wonder if you ever really knew them at all. It also makes you wonder if they ever knew anything about you.

Someone once said, "The difference between friendship and love is how much you can hurt each other." Someone else has said, "The truth may hurt for a little while but a lie hurts forever." I have to trust that it is always the best to know the truth, and that God will heal this hurt. It just pierces me to perceive that I'm not as loved as I thought I was. Or that I'm not as loved in return as the love I'm putting out. I'm sure I would be argued with that I am that loved, but as a pastor once put it to me--where feelings are concerned, perception is reality. And I perceive that I have been rejected and misunderstood in colossal ways. That really hurts.

Comments