Merry Christmas!

I received an email today from Greg & boy did it hit home! It's kind of long, but hang in there! Here it is....

Twas, the months before Christmas. When all through our land
Not a Christian was praying nor taking a stand.
See the PC Police had taken away,
The reason for Christmas - no one could say
The children were told by their schools not to sing
About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things
It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say
December 25th is just a "Holiday"
Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit
Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it
CDs from Madonna, X BOX and I-pods
Something was changing, something quite odd
Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa
In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda
As Target was hanging their trees upside down
At Lowe's the word Christmas - was not to be found
At K Mart and Staples at Penny's and Sears
You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears
Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty
Are words that were used to intimidate me
Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen
On Boxer, On Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton
To the top of the Senate, they rose such a clatter
To eliminate Jesus, in all public matters
And we spoke not a word, as they, slapped our faith
Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace
The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded
The reason for the season, stopped before started
So as you celebrate "Winter Break" under your "Dream Tree"
Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me
Choose your words careful, choose what you say
Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS, not Happy Holiday!
This is something that has been grating on my nerves and conscience for a little while now and this poem is the perfect way to sum up how I feel! Good, bad or ugly I've had alot more trouble lately keeping quiet about how I feel.

It started when I was at Wal-mart looking at Christmas cards and there were two women standing next to me. I didn't think anything of it until I heard one of them say, "There's nothing here I want! I don't want JESUS all over my Christmas cards!!!" I found myself clearing my throat really loudly and giving her a sideways glance. Then the other lady replied, "I know! People need to realize that not everything is about CHRISTIANITY! I want to celebrate 'Christmas' and send out my cards just because it's 'CHRISTMAS',not because I'm worshipping or anything!"

So I looked at them and said something like, "Yeah...God forbid you should celebrate the holiday as it was intended to be celebrated!" and walked away. Probably not the most gracious response.... but well.... *cricket, cricket*. LOL

Then the other night we went to Wendy's to eat dinner and the girl at the counter (must've been a new employee) said to us as we were walking away "Have a Merry Christmas!" Immediately she was pounced on by another employee who sternly said to her "it's HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!". So I turned around and said to the person who corrected her... "No, actually for me it is MERRY CHRISTMAS. Merry Christmas to you too." Another time someone said to me "I'm not a big fan of the Jesus thing." UGGGHHHHH!

This is one of my pet peeves and I tend to jump right up on my soap box when this issue comes up. People tend to respond to me with "well then you shouldn't go trick or treating unless you want to celebrate the devil because it's their holy day!". So I say... "well then let them fight for their rights! If it offends them then I will rethink it!" Stupid I know, but whenever someone tells me that it's not the religious holiday that it used to be I always respond with "don't ever be that naive or foolish to believe that! It IS a holy day. It IS a religious holiday. And it IS the birthday of a Lord so mighty that he is watching everything that is happening on this earth and it is sickening to him. Don't make the mistake of removing him from his own birthday!"

People tend to think I overeact. LOL But that's nothing new! haha When I'm passionate about something I speak up. And I am passionate about celebrating the merciful, beautiful, loving God who came to this filthy earth for the sole purpose of saving me from Hell. He suffered so that every single selfish, foolish thing I've ever done would be covered with grace. I am so unworthy....but I am so grateful. I fail daily. But the beauty of the entire gift is that it never has been about what I do or don't do. I've always been undeserving and always will be.

I love you Jesus. That is the sweetest, most comforting name that can fall off of my tongue. I am so thankful for your birth and I am so blessed to live in a country where I am free to celebrate you. Even though I am constantly needing a "do-over" (lol) I will serve you all the days of my life. You are beautiful, worthy, omnipotent, forgiving, holy, perfect, loving... I could go on and on. My prayer for the new year is that you would allow me to fall deeper and deeper in love with you every day. I praise you. I worship you.

Happy Birthday Jesus! And Merry Christmas to the rest of you!

Comments