5.03.2012

Guest Post: Who's That Girl?


If you read my first blog here on “Not Even a T-shirt” then you know that Veronica and I became friends 27 years ago in spite of the 80’s haircuts we were sporting at the time. But just who is that girl who has all kinds of crazy stories that you may or may not want to hear about the V that we all know and love???

Well, allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Allison.  I’m a 40 year old first time wife and mama, and I couldn’t be happier than I am right now!  Believe me, if you knew just an inkling of my background, you would see why I’m so thankful and how so much of my life is evidence of God’s amazing grace, mercy and love.  But that’s a whole different blogging subject… (“Imagine the Possibilities” ~ right, V?)

I graduated from Cedarville College back in 1994 with a double major in Spanish and Bible, and an emphasis in missions. A year out of college, I got a job as a high school Spanish teacher at Dayton Christian High School.  Teaching was never really a planned part of my career goals, but God clearly lead me into it and I ended up loving it much more than I ever dreamed that I would.  One of the absolute best parts of my job at DCHS was the 15 years that I had the privilege of leading a high school missions trip to an orphanage in the Dominican Republic.  To say that that trip changed my life is quite an understatement.  In fact, that trip and the lessons that I learned along the way helped to define my life.  Those were truly unforgettable experiences!


After several years of wondering if God would ever answer my heart’s cry and wondering if there really was someone out there for me….I finally got married at the age of 38 on July 16, 2010 to a man who is just perfect for me.  My husband, Jon, is one of the most easy going, selfless, hard working, sentimental guys that I’ve ever known.  I couldn’t have picked a better man who is more suited to love me, balance me out and be my life partner.  I thank God for him every day.  (And I thank God for not giving me the other ones that my heart really thought were right for me.  Jon blows all those other losers out of the water!!)


 In April of 2011, Jon & I found out that we were expecting a baby!  Pregnancy for a 39 year old woman was definitely not a walk in the park, but in the end, it was well worth it!  On December 28, 2011 we welcomed our baby boy, Jacob Neil, into the world.  He was two weeks early and he was just a little guy, weighing in at 6 pounds 2 ounces and 19 inches long.  Words can’t describe how that moment forever changed who I am and how I see the world.  I am so immensely thankful that God has given me the blessing of such a sweet little boy.  Being a first time mom sure has had its peaks and valleys and the past four months have definitely been a learning process, but I’m so grateful for the wonderful blessing of being a mama.  I wouldn’t trade it for the world!


 And that brings me to the present.  After Jacob was born, I retired from teaching and I am now blessed to be able to stay at home with my baby.  My husband works as an elementary school music teacher, so we are definitely not rolling in the dough, but God always somehow seems to provide exactly what we need…and He teaches us a whole lot about faith in the process.  I’m so happy being a stay at home mom!  It’s truly the best job I’ve ever had in my life!  Not that I didn’t enjoy my other jobs, but being at home with my baby and helping him grow and experience the world is much more rewarding than anything else I’ve ever done!  In many ways, it’s the hardest and scariest job I’ve ever had as well.  When I think about all the responsibility that being a parent entails, it makes me even more inclined to be dependent on the leading and guiding of my Heavenly Father.  Only by His grace…

P.S.  In the middle of typing that last sentence, my baby rolled over for the very first time.  It’s a happy and proud mama day…and I’m so glad that I was home with him to experience it with my very own eyes.





  

2 comments:

Veronica said...

You have the prettiest eyes! And I have been blessed simply by watching God work in your life and answer prayers that have been prayed for years. And I rejoice with you that He didn't answer the prayers for the ones that came before Jon. You truly are blessed my friend.

Imagine the possibilities!

Allison said...

Thank you :) He truly is good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...