4.07.2012

Guest Post.... Some Things Never Change

The year was 1985.  A gallon of gas cost $1.09, a movie ticket was $2.25 and a stamp was only 22 cents.  Ronald Reagan began his second term as president.  Many well known artists of the day joined together to record “We Are The World” to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia.  Microsoft released Windows 1.0, its first version of Windows.  “Back to the Future” and “Rocky IV” were on the big screen while  “Growing Pains” and “The Golden Girls” made their debut on TV.  The “Tommy Hilfiger” brand was established.  And I met a girl named Veronica.

 



Fast forward 27 years.  The price of gas is over $4.00 a gallon, a movie ticket costs more than $10.00 and the US postal service is closing down post offices and threatening to stop Saturday deliveries due to lack of business.  The United States has an African American president for the first time in our history.  Many well known artists of today have just a few years ago recorded a new version of “We Are The World” to raise money for earthquake relief in Haiti.  Bill Gates, the co-founder, former CEO and current chairman of Microsoft is ranked one of the wealthiest people in the world.   Currently the top movie of the day is “Hunger Games.”  Kirk Cameron (who got his start on “Growing Pains”) is a Christian and is pretty bold about sharing his faith.  Betty White, who is 90 years old, is the only Golden Girl still alive.  The Tommy Hilfiger brand is still around.  And that girl named Veronica, well, she’s one of my oldest and dearest of friends.



It’s amazing to me how so many things in life change.  Cost of living, politics, technology, pop culture, styles, etc.  In the midst of all that change, it’s refreshing to find that some things never change.  The friendship that I share with Veronica is one of those “never changing” things in my life.  Back in 1985, we spent our time talking about her crush on Kirk Cameron and my crush on Ralph Macchio.  We had “friendship notebooks” that we would write in and trade back and forth each weekend when we would meet up at church.  We stayed up late laughing and talking whenever we would spend the night at each other’s houses.   And we always had each other’s back and everyone knew it.  Now in the year 2012, not much has changed.  We still talk to each other about the men in our lives.  We text all the time.  We still stay up late laughing and talking whenever we spend the night at each other’s houses.  And we still have each other’s back..and everyone knows it.   I’m more than glad to see that some of the things from 1985 have disappeared into the history books.  But I’m extremely  thankful to God that my friendship with Veronica is still here 27 years later…and still going strong.






3 comments:

veronica said...

Thank you friend. You have no idea how much I needed to read this right now. I just posted a fb status saying, "I am so damn unappreciated." I'm so grateful that you're one of the constants in my life and my one true thing. I love you.

Allison said...

I love you too ♥

Anonymous said...

What a great blog! Love this and love both of you!!

Shawnda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...