4.21.2012

Guest Post: Empathy....


Yesterday I went to see "The Lucky One" with Zac Efron which I loved!  I thought it was a beautiful movie with wonderful acting!  But prior to the show starting one of the previews was for "Sparkle" with Whitney Houston.  I can't explain the wave of sadness that came over me when I saw her.

I was shocked to hear the news of her death a few weeks ago and deeply saddened by the comments people made about her character.  What we know about her is that she was beautiful and had the voice of an angel.  We know she was married to Bobby Brown and had a daughter Bobbi Kristina and we know she had a problem with substance abuse.  What we don't know is the battles she had in her heart that contributed to her struggles with substance abuse.

I wish our world was nicer to each other.  I wish we were less judging and more compassionate.  Everyone struggles with things for different reasons.  She wasn't worthless or no good because she struggled with drugs.  My thoery is that anyone who puts themselves through so much pain must be trying to find a way to numb an even deeper pain and that deserves empathy not judgement.

My biological mother also abused drugs and alcohol and even though I haven't shown much empathy for her, I know she must have also had a lot of deep rooted pain she was trying to escape from to put herself through all of that agony.
Whitney Houston was loved.  She had friends and a family- people who truly knew her and I can only imagine the sadness they feel when they see her being attacked or put down by people who only know the face and the voice....and what they read in tabloids.

Why must our world (myself included) be so quick to judge?  Why must we tear each other down?  I just find it to be so sad.  My heart aches for her family and for those of us who loved her music.   I personally praise God for her life and for how she blessed millions of people with that incredible voice. 
I'm sorry for your pain Whitney.  I'm sorry on behalf of those who ignorantly attack you as if they truly knew you.  I hope you're at peace now.  You will truly be missed.






4 comments:

veronica said...

Yes! I'm so glad to see someone who thinks like I think! My heart breaks for her and people minimize the beautiful soul that she was simply because she had a stumbling block. Well you know what? We ALL have our stumbling blocks and familiar sins. Every one of us. She was beautiful, funny and passionate. And she ALWAYS tried to turn the focus back to Jesus. God bless her.

Shawnda said...

Amen! I just wish people would leave her memory alone. She was human too.

shawnda said...

Agreed!

Allison said...

I couldn't agree more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...